The Byram Township Police Department existed since the 1930's as a part-time police force. On April 15, 1971 the Byram Township Police Department was established as a full time Department with four full time sworn personnel including Eskil S. Danielson who was appointed as the Department's first full time Chief of Police. The newly formed Department then assumed all policing duties for the Township from the New Jersey State Police. The Department grew from four full time Officers to ten full time Officers by 1975. Currently the Department has 15 sworn Officers.
In 1979 the Department established a crime scene investigation unit followed by an accident reconstruction unit in 1987. The Department began a community policing unit in 1991 and also began teaching the D.A.R.E. program in the Byram Intermediate School that same year. In 1996 the Department's arson investigation unit was established. In 2005 the Department was able to establish an ATV Unit with funding provided by the Hudson Farm Foundation. The Department's current Chief of Police, Raymond F. Rafferty was promoted to Chief on November 1, 2005. The Department's second Chief of Police, John M. Gutwerk, retired in April 2005 with 31 years of service. He was promoted to Chief on December 1, 1993 when Chief Eskil Danielson retired after 22 years of service.
The following is a list of Officers who have honorably served and retired from the Byram Township Police Department:
Chief Eskil S. Danielson 1971
Beatrice F. Eriksen, retired clerical worker, 1973 through 2001